We're Designers. We like to Decorate, while we Eat Chocolate.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Lamp Shade Re-do

Sorry about no post on Monday, I took the holiday off to go to Vegas!

I wanted to keep using the great shades that came with these lamps. So I decided to recover them. The best way to do this super fast and super easy is what I call the "wedding dress" shade.
I started out with these drum lamp shades that came with the lamps. They were red to begin with but didn't match my room. So I recovered them in black (this was about 3 years ago) and now I wanted them white.

So I had some white muslin about 28" wide. I folded it over the top about an inch and hot glued to the inside. Then I gathered, gathered, gathered until I came to the end and folded that underneath the bottom and hot glued to the inside.
Then, where all the gathering and bunching was happening I pinned so that it would stay.
(see yellow circles above)
Then I came back with some needle and thread and replaced the pins by stitching just a little bit to the fabric underneath. Do whatever you think is necessary but it really didn't take me many stitches. The fabric is staying really well.
(see yellow circle above)
Ta-Da! So easy and so pretty!
(go HERE and HERE to see how I made the pillows on my bed)


The DIY Show Off

9 comments:

  1. I really like these shades. Sew cute and sew easy... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you on TT&J weekend round-up- love this!! Great job! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute. I have a lamp shade I want to recover in white too. Think I might use your idea. Thanks for sharing.
    Jennifer
    http://www.alwaysinwonder.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Super easy and a big beautiful difference! I love your creativity! :)

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like these. Very original.

    Following.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found you from Miranda's blog!
    Thanks for this, I have the perfect lamp!!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like these. They make me wanna go out and buy some lamps, except that would mean I'd have to go buy some tables to put them on...it's complicated.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...