We're Designers. We like to Decorate, while we Eat Chocolate.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Shh..I'm Cheating on my Window Valence.

I'm going to tell you how to totally cheat on your window treatments.  Some designers/seamstresses will charge upwards of $100 bones for something like this, but I'm going to tell you how I did it for $15 and about an hour.  I needed inspiration for the rooms color palette  so I chose this fabric from JoAnn's (on sale of course) as my jumping off point. This is an upholstery weight, so it was thick enough that it didn't need lining (You can cheat when you line them too, but that's another post).  I simply hemmed the edges (no bothering with pins or ironing, just folded it over) and had the trim from another old chair slip cover I made, so I disassembled that and sewed it on. 
 {My little secret}
I didn't even make a rod pocket, I just folded it over my curtain rod and she's been there ever since. I took a few minutes to bunch it up evenly across the top.   I also hung my rod just a few inches from the ceiling, about 18" above the window, to give the illusion of a taller window.. not to shabby!  I also had the rod (I intended to use it in my daughters room in my last house) still in the packaging.  I love going shopping in my basement, you can too... your basement that is:) 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...