We're Designers. We like to Decorate, while we Eat Chocolate.

Monday, April 4, 2011

Strolling-- Before & After

 I recently came across the term "stroller envy," while reading a mommy magazine.  I realized I have been suffering from it.  Although I have 3 other nice strollers, sometimes you just need to use the small umbrella stroller.   For my 1st child, I  had  a very cute umbrella stroller that had a giraffe print seat and black frame (Baby Trend).

(Now she's 7, where does the time go?)

 Unfortunately, we took it on a trip and the airline busted one of the wheels off (and of course they aren't liable mind you),  so we had to pick up one quick on the cheap.  Enter this little eyesore:

BEFORE:

I have been pushing this around ever since, and then with my 2nd child, (and I'm not pushing this ugly around with my 3rd, L.J., 15 mo anymore.)   Not that it's terrible, but the frame is a weird green tone that doesn't even coordinate with the blue/green striped fabric. Strollers are for the mom's just as much (if not more so) than babies, and this definitely looks babyish.
(no, I don't have man hands, my hubby touched up around the wheels for me)

So, rather than spend another 15 bucks on another stroller that is equally babyish, and also not fork out mucho$ for one that IS cute, I went the DIY route.
(Top Back of Fabric Seat)

Here is is after fabric from JoAnn's recovering the seat and a little brown leather spray paint on the frame.
I just took the seat off and cut a bigger piece of fabric and then sewed it right onto the old seat.   I wasn't too concerned about new straps since the baby usually covers up those anyway.

AFTER:

 Took a grand total of about 2 1/2 hours and less than $10.  Wish I would have done this sooner.  

15 comments:

  1. how cute! love it! What a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I'm doing this with my next kid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! What a great idea! Looks GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super Cute!! You did a great job, Lauren! ....and I guess man-hands did a nice job too....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauren I love your design eye! Glad to see your still using those amazing design skills we learned!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! You two ladies have made me believe in the power of spray paint and a little fabric. I don't replace anything anymore. I just repaint and recover :) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome idea! Thank you so much for sharing. We have a little girl and my husband could only find a lavender tinker belle stroller. It's not very cute, and will not work at all if we have a boy! Awesome solution!

    ~Jessica
    inspirationthief.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are straight up amazing! I never knew this could be done! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow great idea! It looks wonderful. new follower here.
    Connie
    http://thecrafterbug.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. The new stroller is WAY cuter! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. VERY VERY CUTE!!! I would love to make one that looks more stylish than my plain black one. It looks easy enough!!

    New follower!!
    Alyssa
    http://handsalwayscreating.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just got one from someone for 8 dollars I have a little boy and the stroller is disney princess I am recoving it as we speak thank you so much for this post!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...